Saturday, September 15, 2012


I think Alex's first day at school was more traumatic for me than it was for him. He had an amazing inventive spirit even back then, and I just hoped he would retain it while he learned to read and write. We are all born with imagination, but hanging on to it is another story. Some of us draw, some of us dance, some sing effortlessly as children. The effort of becoming literate is a huge task that takes many years to perfect - I'm still working on it! ;^)  

For many people the creative side gets pushed aside in order to focus on literacy - as Picasso once said said " It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but it took me a lifetime to paint like a child." And Einstein said, "logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." 

And so it goes. I'm glad I can draw, that  is my first language - the other one is English, which is a lot of work! 

1 comment:

  1. I've been playing tennis for the last 19 years. Recently got a few tips on serving and could barely get a ball over the net the other night. The brain is a very finicky instrument. Learning and instinct are very hard to reconcile, probably moreso as we get older.

    ReplyDelete