Now that I'm back from Ontario, I've been going through some of my reference photos. I took these for page 30 where I showed a mural project in progress for Alex's grade 4 class. I was hoping the mural would still be there at the end of this hallway after all these years but sadly it wasn't... The school had turned back the clock to what it had looked like when we moved to Victoria in 1987. The same institutional colours and cookie cutter art work is back in 2016! I was so disappointed because for the time my sons were at this school, I made it my mission to change the look of the place. At the time I managed to convince the principle to let me change the colour of the walls and doors - that was a start. I then gave art workshops to help students think outside the box, the work they produce was put in art frames and adorned the walls for many years. I had many parents volunteer to change the artwork, several times a year. We did the dragon mural as well as instillation pieces in the stairwells, which are gone as well. I had so much fun working with the kids and I was grateful the principle at the time was so supportive of new ideas instead of the standard institutional art work you see below.
|These last two images were the preliminary drawings we did for the mural piece. In a workshop I did I had shown them a slide show of visual puns which included a lot of M. C. Escher's work. If you look closely at the upper drawing you'll see the names of the students and their parts of the dragon that created the whole picture.|