|This was are year end party with the students work on display. That's Ken in the wild shirt, I was wearing my traditional turkey on my head for my final critique!|
|HAPPY NEW YEAR and happy birthday to me!|
|This is a sneak peek into my studio with script on the left and a work in progress that is finished now and posted. I can't believe I'm getting closer to finishing my book... only 20 or 30 more pages to go. It can be difficult at times to get these pages done but I try to pace myself. Ha - it always worked at exam time!|
|Matt on the mat... and check out the new easels we now have!|
|I had my students model for Halloween this year. We had fun!|
|We're in our fifth year of the Comics and Graphic Novel program at Camosun College. The time has flown by, I guess that means I'm having so much fun!!! Another year of amazing students, they already draw very well, my job is to help them fine tune there figure drawing skills. Thurs. we started drawing the draped figure, I was so lucky to find a Cosplay model, the wings were a nice touch!|
It is with great sadness that I dedicate this post to Ian Ross, a student in last year's Comics & Graphic Novels program, who passed away in August. I had the pleasure of working with him and getting to know him as his teacher. He entered as a mature student at the age of 54, and worked really hard to complete the program. The artwork above is the last assignment he handed in to my class. I told him that everything, including the composition, colour, design and text, made the image work so well, and that the stye was wonderfully raw and sophisticated at the same time. It would make a great book cover or album jacket for a band called... The Innocent!
Ian worked diligently on every project he did and accomplished a lot in this last year, even though he had difficulty at times... but he persevered to the end. His future plans with his new found skills included returning to Quebec to write and draw a biography of his father, which would've been wonderful. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family.
Now that I'm back from Ontario, I've been going through some of my reference photos. I took these for page 30 where I showed a mural project in progress for Alex's grade 4 class. I was hoping the mural would still be there at the end of this hallway after all these years but sadly it wasn't... The school had turned back the clock to what it had looked like when we moved to Victoria in 1987. The same institutional colours and cookie cutter art work is back in 2016! I was so disappointed because for the time my sons were at this school, I made it my mission to change the look of the place. At the time I managed to convince the principle to let me change the colour of the walls and doors - that was a start. I then gave art workshops to help students think outside the box, the work they produce was put in art frames and adorned the walls for many years. I had many parents volunteer to change the artwork, several times a year. We did the dragon mural as well as instillation pieces in the stairwells, which are gone as well. I had so much fun working with the kids and I was grateful the principle at the time was so supportive of new ideas instead of the standard institutional art work you see below.
|These last two images were the preliminary drawings we did for the mural piece. In a workshop I did I had shown them a slide show of visual puns which included a lot of M. C. Escher's work. If you look closely at the upper drawing you'll see the names of the students and their parts of the dragon that created the whole picture.|
|I just thought I'd include these pages to show my process in creating a comic page. This method works best for me, even though it may look somewhat crude. I tried the Fan Boy layout pads but I found the size of the image area a bit to small for me. I start my process with my rough script, then I break down the dialogue into pages, then edit some more with Ken's help...I often agree with some of the edits but not always! The top page with the ketchup was interesting because Ken and I got into an argument about the dialogue "clean this up!" he thought I should say " and clean this up!" which I felt diminished the impact, it took me awhile to convince him but I think it works better. |
When I do my rough layouts I try to keep them simple and fluid which makes it easer to make changes. From these layouts I go straight to the full size comic page and start penciling. Both of these finished pages are posted already, so you can have a look at the changes I made.